The federal government has announced a series of measures to support health sciences, in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic.
March 23 – Canada’s Plan to Mobilize Science to Fight COVID-19
The Prime Minister announced support to quickly mobilize Canadian researchers to support countermeasures to combat COVID-19, including vaccines and other treatments. He outlined some projects that would be funded under the previously announced $275 million initiative:
- $192 million in new projects that will be prioritized under the new Strategic Innovation Fund COVID-19 stream to deliver direct support to Canadian companies for large-scale projects. These companies include AbCellera and Medicago.
- $23 million for the University of Saskatchewan’s Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization – International Vaccine Centre (VIDO-InterVac)
- $15 million for the National Research Council of Canada to upgrade its Human Health Therapeutics facility.
- Support for BlueDot, a Toronto-based digital health firm, with a newly-developed global early warning technology for infectious diseases.
March 19 – Government of Canada funds 49 additional COVID-19 research projects
A list of funded projects can be found here.
Fellow who received funding in this round:
- Guy Boivin (Université Laval)
- Timothy Caulfield (University of Alberta)
- Shaf Keshavjee (Unity Health Toronto)
March 11 – Prime Minister outlines Canada’s COVID-19 response
The Prime Minister announced a whole-of-government response to COVID-19 through a $1 billion COVID-19 Response Fund. This included:
- Enhancing Canada’s capacity in research and development, including research on medical countermeasures, including antivirals, vaccine development and support for clinical trials, by providing $275 million in additional funding building on top of the recent $27 million announcement to fund coronavirus research in Canada.
March 6 – Government of Canada invests $27M in coronavirus research.
Fellows who received funding:
- Scott Halperin (Dalhousie University
- Prabhat Jha (Unity Health Toronto)
- Ronald Labonte (University of Ottawa)
- Kelley Lee (Simon Fraser University)
- Haibo Zhang (Unity Health Toronto)