The Governance and Finance Committee supports the Board by providing two essential roles – ensuring the proper governance of the Academy and ensuring that CAHS meets its financial responsibilities.
- Lead the Board in discussing and agreeing on the competencies required for the positions on the Board and the Board Executives when a vacancy occurs;
- Solicit a list of individuals who meet the desired competencies by releasing a call to the membership for nominations and by reaching out to Fellows in the discipline specific to the positions we need to fill.
- Recommend individuals to fill vacancies on the Board and Board Executive.
- Lead the Board in discussing and agreeing on recommendations for Committee Chairs, Fellow representative members and recipients of annual Award Nominations. Award nominations will be the responsibility of the Governance and Finance Committee.
- Carry out the annual performance assessment of the Board.
- Reviewing the bylaws and policies regularly to ensure that they are current and reflect the needs of the academy;
- Develop a Board manual providing direction to existing and new Board members as well as defining the relationship between the Board and management;
- Review the membership of the various committees, provide a report to the Board on members;
- Provide financial oversight by:
- Setting the budget for the following year;
- Reviewing financials on a regular basis and report on significant budget variances;
- Reporting on the financials at Board meetings;
- Recommending the auditor for the financial year.
|James (Jay) Cross PhD, FCAHS
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Calgary
|Jon Meddings MD, FRCPC, FCAHS
Cumming School of Medicine, University of Calgary
Faculty of Medicine, Neurology Division, University of British Columbia
Professor Emeritus, University of British Columbia
|Antonio Strafella, MD, PhD, FRCPC, FCAHS
Krembil Research Institute, University Health Network, University of Toronto
|Christopher Simpson MD, FRCPC, FACC, FHRS, FCCS, FCAHS
School of Medicine, Queen’s University (ex-officio member)